Banner Default Image


Share this article

6 August

How does it help an International Nurse?

You can apply for a Tier 2 (Health and Care) visa if:

  • you have a job offer from the NHS, an organisation providing medical services to the NHS or an organisation providing adult social care

  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

  • your sponsor has told you that you are eligible for it


  • You must be a qualified:

  • Doctor

  • Nurse

  • Health professional

  • Adult social care professional

  • have a valid certificate of sponsorship for your job

  • show you’re being paid an appropriate salary for your job

  • prove your knowledge of English

  • have personal savings so you can support yourself when you arrive in the UK

  • show you can travel and your travel history over the last 5 years

  • have tuberculosis test results if you’re from a listed country

  • provide a criminal record certificate from any country you’ve lived in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, if you’ll be working with vulnerable people

  • You need to have an eligible qualification if you’re switching from a Tier 4 visa.

*For full list of eligible professions and rules, read ‘Part A’ of the Tier 2 guidance.

Health surcharge Exempted:

As part of the launch of the Health and Care Visa, those who apply via the visa and their dependants will beexempt from the Immigration Health Surcharge.This will be available to the applicants from August 4th, 2020. This is a great news for the NHS and other health care employers in the UK sponsoring International healthcare professionals.  

Employment Sponsorship:

You need to be employed by a licensed sponsor to apply to live in the UK.

Your sponsor checks that you can do the job they’re hiring you for and if it qualifies you for a visa. They’ll assign you a certificate of sponsorship to prove this.

They must also give you other information you need when you apply, for example how much you’ll be paid.


A visa for up to 3 years costs £232.

A visa for more than 3 years costs £464.

The fee is the same whether you apply from inside or outside the UK.

Your dependants will also pay the same amount.

If you’re a citizen of Turkey or Macedonia a visa for up to 3 years costs £177 and a visa for more than 3 years costs £409.

Source Reference

Source Reference

Receive Job Alerts

Sign up below to get the latest information on jobs